[wisb] Western Grebe Photos, Lake Mendota, Madison

  • From: ARLENE KOZIOL <arlenekoziol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn Birdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 15:26:44 -0500

Despite the strong winds my husband Jeff and I had a great time observing the
Lake Mendota Western Grebe foraging and fishing. We saw it in the same location
as last week, close to shore swimming near the limnology building. We saw it
catch two perch. One fish was so large, it had to squeeze it hard in it’s
bill for about five minutes before it could swallow it dead in one gulp. It was
amazing the Grebe hold on to a thrashing fish in the strong winds and waves.
It’s long legs were attached to the end of it’s body, and it’s feet were
lobed instead of webbed. Rod Dudly wrote on his online blog, "genus name of
four of the North American grebe species is Podiceps (from “podicis”
meaning anus or vent and “pes” meaning foot) – in other words, “anus
foot”.”
Below is a link to my pictures,
Western Grebe, Lake Mendota, July 31, 2015 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29411257@N00/sets/72157656609531161
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/29411257@N00/sets/72157656609531161>

For those interested in seeing a photo of a Western and Clark’s Grebes
together that was taken in Elkhorn Slough, Moss Landing, CA, August 28, 2012,

Elkhorn Slough, Moss Landing, CA | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29411257@N00/sets/72157635192759558
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/29411257@N00/sets/72157635192759558>

Arlene Koziol

arlenekoziol@xxxxxxx