[wisb] Re: #2: Swainson's Thrush @ Horicon NWR

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: danieledelstein@xxxxxxx, "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:27:59 -0500

There was of a movement early in the week. I was up late on Monday July
27. As we were unpacking from a trip, in the dark, we heard a
Swainson's Thrush and a likely Northern Waterthrush which are both usual
early migrants - as early as the last week of July.

Last night again we heard 1-2 Waterthrush. The Northern Waterthrush
night call is somewhat distinct but there are several close to it. Here
is a list of nocturnal migrant calls mnemonics of the Eastern U.S. It
is taken from this site
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pifcapemay/evans_rosenberg.htm . You'll
note some misses in the description for the thrushes as the Swainson's
and Gray-cheeked are distinctly different in some of there calls at
night. Also, cuckoos are not listed and are easy to ID. The
description for Blackpoll, Yellow, Blackburnian and Bay-breasted are in
the "zeet complex" and after many years of listening, to me, it sounds
more like buzzy "bjjt." No matter, as a group, each is not
distinguishable from one another. Another site for sonograms is here:
http://oldbird.org/Library.htm

**

Species

Vocalization

Upland Sandpiper (/Bartramia longicauda/)

rapid "tu tu tup" series (variable)

Long-billed Curlew (/Numenius americanus/)

Cur-lee flight call

Black-billed Cuckoo (/Coccyzus erythropthalmus/)

guttural "chuckle"

Yellow-billed Cuckoo (/Coccyzus americanus/)

kakakowlp call (variable)

Red-headed Woodpecker (/Melanerpes erythrocephalus/)

"queeer" note

Red-breasted Nuthatch (/Sitta canadensis/)

"aah, aah, aah" notes

Veery (/Catharus fuscescens/)

short whistled note

Gray-cheeked Thrush (/Catharus minimus/)

short whistled note

Bicknell's Thrush (/Catharus bicknelli/)

short whistled note

Swainson's Thrush (/Catharus ustulatus/)

short whistled note

Hermit Thrush (/Catharus guttatus/)

short whistled note

Wood Thrush (/Hylocichla mustelina/)

short whistled note

Chestnut-sided Warbler (/Dendroica pensylvanica/)

short, high "tseep"

Cape May Warbler (/Dendroica tigrina/)

short, high "tseep"

Black-throated Blue Warbler (/Dendroica caerulescens/)

short, high "tseep"
(often doubled)

Palm Warbler (/Dendroica palmarum/)

short, high "tseep"

Black-and-white warbler (/Mniotilta varia/)

short, high "tseep"

American Redstart (/Setophaga ruticilla/)

short, high "tseep"

Ovenbird (/Seiurus aurocapillus/)

short, high "tseep"

Northern Waterthrush (/Seiurus noveboracensis/)

short, high "tseep"

Common Yellowthroat (/Geothlypis trichas/)

short, buzzy "tzzp"

Canada Warbler (/Wilsonia canadensis/)

short, high "tseep"

Rose-breasted Grosbeak (/Pheucticus ludovicianus/)

short whistled note

Dickcissel (/Spiza americana/)

buzzy flight note

Indigo Bunting (/Passerina cyanea/)

buzzy flight note

Painted Bunting (/Passerina ciris/)

buzzy flight note

Blue Grosbeak (/Guiraca caerulea/)

buzzy flight note

American Tree Sparrow (/Spizella arborea/)

short, high "tseep"

Chipping Sparrow (/Spizella passerina/)

short, high "tseep"

Savannah Sparrow (/Passerculus sandwichensis/)

short, high "tseep"

Grasshopper Sparrow (/Ammodramus savannarum/)

short, high "tseep"

Henslow's Sparrow (/Ammodramus henslowii/)

a high descending "zeee"

Lincoln's Sparrow (/Melospiza lincolnii/)

a buzzy "zee"

Swamp Sparrow (/Melospiza georgiana/)

a buzzy "zee"

Bobolink (/Dolichonyx orizivorus/)

pink flight note

*Table 2. "Complexes" of bird species for which call-type is known but
which are not yet definitely distinguishable from other species with
similar call-types. All these calls are short, typically less than
1/10th of a second in duration and high pitched, between 5 and 9 kHz. *

Species complex

Vocalization

...... ......

*I*

Prothonotary Warbler (/Protonotaria citrea/)

A nonsibilant, rising "tseep" note

Clay-colored Sparrow (/Spizella passerina/)

"

Swainson's Warbler (/Limnothlypis swainsonii/)

"
... ..."

*II*

Blue-winged Warbler (/Vermivora pinus/)

A buzzy "kzeen" of "kzeep" note

Golden-winged Warbler (/Vermivora chrysoptera/)

"

Louisiana Waterthrush (/Seiurus motacilla/)

"

*III*

Tennessee Warbler (/Vermivora peregrina/)

A sibilant, rising "tseet" or "tsee" note

Nashville Warbler (/Vermivora ruficapilla/)

"

Orange-crowned Warbler (/Vermivora celata/)

"

Black-throated Green Warbler (/Dendroica virens/)

"

Vesper Sparrow (/Pooecetes gramineus/)

""

Yellow-rumped Warbler (/Dendroica coronata/)

"

White-crowned Sparrow (/Zonotrichia leucophrys/)

"

*IV*

Pine Warbler (/Dendroica pinus/)

A descending "tsew" note

Northern Parula (/Parula americana/)

"

Field Sparrow (/Spizella pusilla/)

"

Yellow-throated Warbler (/Dendroica dominica/)

"

Prairie Warbler (/Dendroica discolor/)

"

*V*

Cerulean Warbler (Dendroica cerulea)

A buzzy, "zeet" note

Blackburnian Warbler (Dendroica fusca)

"

Magnolia Warbler (Dendroica magnolia)

"

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorus)

"

Blackpoll Warbler (Dendroica striata)

"

Yellow Warbler (Dendroica petechia)

"

Bay-breasted Warbler (Dendroica castanea)

"

Connecticut Warbler (Oporornis agilis)

"

*VI*

Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca)

a high, "tseep" note

Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)

"

White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)

"

*VII*

LeConte's Sparrow (Ammospiza leconteii)

a high downslurred "tsee" note

Sharp-tailed Sparrow (Ammospiza ssp.)

""

Joe Schaufenbuel
Stevens Point
Portage Co., WI

On 7/29/2015 11:06 PM, Daniel Edelstein wrote:

âEUR¦and a brief rejoinder that I forgot to mention in my initial post a
moment ago:
another birder also detected SwainsonâEUR^(TM)s Thrush over the weekend in
the Milwaukee area, per ebird.org <http://ebird.org/>
data that was submittedâEUR¦..Of course, I submitted mine, tooâEUR¦..as
itâEUR^(TM)s good to get the records of this species updated via
this excellent resource

(i.e., I use ebird.org <http://ebird.org/> as my sole source place to record
my sightings that I can then access later
to note changes in arrival/departure/abundance, etc. from year to yearâEUR¦.I
also use Bird Log as an app on my iPhone because
the log summary in the field automatically transfers to ebird.org
<http://ebird.org/> when I plug in my iPhone upon returning from the
fieldâEUR¦and, hence,
I donâEUR^(TM)t have to type in my species from scratch into ebird.org
<http://ebird.org/>.)

Regards,

Daniel Edelstein
Novato, CA