[wisb] West Bend Birding in Washington County - Help with ID?

  • From: Chris Fries <cfries74@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 22:46:47 -0700 (PDT)

Well a good day birding today considering it's still pretty early and here
are the highlights.  I went home to see my parents and as is custom my Dad and
I went for a hike on our usual route.  As is also custom I took my binoculars
along.  Before we hit the trails though I had a couple of nice surprises in
their yard.  The first was a Sparrow at the feeder that I'm not 100% certain
of, but I'm pretty sure it was a Vesper Sparrow.  Consulting both Sibley and
National Geographic's guides that is my conclusion.  The only thing that seems
to differ from the photos is that the bird seemed to have more pronounced black
streaking down it's chest.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

The other bird, which is another lifer for me, was a Pine Siskin at the finch
feeder.  I may have seen one before and not noticed it, but my Dad doesn't
recall seeing one at their house before.

Anyway we hit the West Bend Mutual's trails (in my parent's backyard) we
spotted a pair of Eastern Bluebirds (male and female).  We also got some great
views of a female Kestrel which was at one point chased by a crow.  From the
Mutual we proceeded to the Ice Age trail and then to Lucas Lake.  At the
Soutwestern side of the lake, actually behind it on that side where Silver
Creek comes in, we saw the resident Kingfisher.  I could here him chattering
from up over the creek.  I spotted him quickly and got a great view.  Moments
later I got an even better view of him in flight.  At the very same location we
saw two Sandhill Cranes fly low and right over.  Then just a couple of minutes
later we had a Brown Creeper working it's way up the trees.  Heading back we
had a Red-Bellied Woodpecker in the woods on the Ice Age trail, though it was
odd that it was the only woodpecker we saw.  As we got back to the Mutual we
headed back on the western edge of
 the trail.  I could see from the distance a pair of birds up in a tree back on
the eastern edge of the trail.  I couldn't get a good enough look as they were
too far off, but they looked big enough from that distance that I thought it
was the Kestrel and the Crow again (both of whom shared a tree earlier in the
day).  So I headed to that edge of the prairie.  On the way I saw the Kestrel
though, so that was a surprise.  Then as I got to the eastern edge I had 8
Purple Finches up in a tree.  Still heading to the tree I heard a familiar
voice calling along with the Red-Winged Blackbirds.  As I approached the tree I
could see it wasn't a Crow but yet another Red-Winged Blackbird.  I also could
see that the familiar voice clearly belonged to the other bird in that tree.
It was an Eastern Meadowlark!  I was and still am thrilled to see the bird as
we've never seen one there before.  Hopefully it becomes a regular along with
the Kingbirds,
 Bluebirds and Tree Swallows.  I also saw three more Sandhill Cranes pass over.

So not a bad day considering it's still early April.