[wisb] Waukesha: Coopers Hawk, pheasant

  • From: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:11:11 -0500

This weekend, I decided I wanted to get a couple nice photos of Ring-necked
Pheasants and to check the waterfowl on the Fox River around Waukesha.  My only
pheasant photos were from a chance meeting of two pheasants on a county highway
on the way up to Horicon Marsh last summer.

Anyhow, I recalled several hawks on Sunset Dr, west of Waukesha, and then I
remembered the game farm on Cty Hwy D & Boettcher Rd.  So, I went looking
around for a few escapees from the game farm’s grounds.  Sure enough, there
were a handful of pheasants searching for food among the corn stalks well east
of Hillside Dr.  At one point I turned down Hillside Dr only to see a Cooper’s
Hawk eating an afternoon snack along the road.  I was able to pass it, turn
around, and snap a couple photos.  It was so intent on eating that my presence
(I kept a reasonable distance) was not an issue.  With little left of its meal,
it flew off with remaining morsels.  Many minutes later, it flew overhead to
some other trees.  With the hawk out of the area, I got out of my car and
confirmed that its meal was an less than fortunate pheasant.

It seems the game farm is also popular with hawks.  I've seen a fair number
along Sunset Dr., just north of Wern Way Rd.

If you want to view some photos, start with the first Cooper’s Hawk and keep
hitting the [Older] button.

Cooper’s Hawk:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/8507144757/in/photostream
Pheasants: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/8508244856/in/photostream

I also went over to the Fox River Sanctuary just north of Hwy 59.  There were
lots of Canada Geese, a handful of mallards,  and three common goldeneyes.  Not
much else, sorry to say.  While there, however, I did enjoy a beaver swimming
in the Fox River.  At first it fled 20 yards upstream, but eventually it swam
downstream past me, only to come back and swim toward me within 5 yards before
veering to water’s edge and disappearing for the evening.

While doing the dishes and watching the birds outside, I was surprised to see a
large opossum below the feeders looking for some food.  Based on the path it
traversed, it had come to the feeders before, but more than likely at night.
Anyhow, while I’m not terrible fond of possums, it was nice to at it to my
backyard animals gallery.

If interested, here are some off-topic photos:

Beaver: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/8508242094/in/photostream
Opossum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/8507131715/in/photostream

Thanks,
Tom Wright