[wisb] Warblers and hawks

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 12:18:46 -0500

Hi all,
I came up with 9 species of Warblers this morning in my
valley: Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, 1 Male Golden-winged, 2 fall male
Bay-breasted, a stunning male Am Redstart, 1 Wilson's, Tennessee, Black and
White, and C Yellowthroat.

After the warbler rush hour died down, I headed up to the ridge to scope for
hawks. In about two hours I saw: 38 TV, 19 Red-tail,2 Bald Eagle,1 Broad-wing.
Also seen: 1 flyby Common Nighthawk booking it south, Pileated, Red-bellied,
Downy, Hairy Woodpeckers, N Flicker,House Wren, Catbird, Barn Swallows, Cedar
Waxwing, Lots of Bluebirds, 4 Sandhill Cranes, 1 Great-crested Flycatcher (a
tad late maybe?), and 2 Swainson's Thrush calling from somewhere below me.

Not a bad morning.  Now, back to work.......

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County

http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)