[wisb] Re: Warbler Quiz/using photos to ID

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alschirmacher@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:51:24 -0500

I think that in SOME instances, photos won't be that helpful in determing
an ID of a bird, depending on the quality, angles and light of the photo.
In the case of empids, everything I've read said that most IDs can not be
assured without hearing the voice. *Sometimes, * the amount of debate that
goes on based purely on photos seems to be overkill/a waste of time.
However, a clear, close up photo of a bird that doesn't resemble a lot of
other species can be very helpful. Using photos and comparing them to my
guides is how I learned to ID many birds.

Jennifer
Milwaukee Cty