[wisb] WW Crossbill Vernon Marsh

  • From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 15:16:04 -0600

Jasonn Weber and I went today to look for WW crossbills.  We first went to
Stute Springs where we actually had very little after thoroughly searching
within the spruces and me getting my feet soaked in the process.
Golden-crowned kinglets were the best bird there for me.  We stopped at
Mukwanago Park where Jasonn showed me the SNOW GOOSE, and then we went over
to Vernon Marsh via Frog Alley Rd. (construction all done!).  We had a
single purple finch, and thanks to Jasonn's iPod and speakers were able to
draw a single WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL.  It was beyond overcast out there, but
the bird sat patiently feeding up in one of the big tamaracks and we were
able to catch the white wing bars (clearly was either a juv. or female) and
also heard it calling the "wit wit wit."  A few other ones we heard here and
there we weren't sure of, but not much else on this dreary day.  Both of
these locations are very wet now.  You could walk along the road for Stute
Springs and stay dry but if you want to walk around in there or if you want
to go to the tamaracks at Frog Alley, bring some waterproof boots.  Thanks
for the find, Tom.

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.