[wisb] WSO field trip report - Dane and Columbia Co. Ponds

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 13:09:15 -0500

The morning of Sunday, March 30 was sunny but chilly at Goose Pond, with a
brisk wind and the temperature right around 32 degrees, but there were lots of
birders beginning to gather by 8:00 AM – of course, many with serious cases
of “cabin fever” after what has been a cold, unending winter!  The two
ponds were still thick with ice, with only small patches of open water along
the edges of the east pond.  A couple of Tundra Swans were present among the
Canada Geese, and a Song Sparrow and and an Eastern Meadowlark were heard
calling nearby.  At one point, the group was excited to see several Greater
White-fronted Geese winging just overhead.  By the time we made preliminary
announcements, passed out radios, and started driving, we had an impressive
line-up of 30 cars in our caravan!
The first stop was a flooded field along Harvey Road, just north of Hwy. 60
where hundreds of geese had been present a little earlier (including several
species), but unfortunately by the time we arrived almost all of the birds had
departed, so after a short scan of the area we headed back west to another pond
near the Hwy. 60 and 51 intersection where lots of geese were still gathered.
There we had excellent looks at several dozen Greater White-fronted Geese,
along with Northern Pintails, Northern Shovelers and a couple of Green-winged
Teal.

Our caravan then proceeded south to Harvey and Wangsness Roads, where more
ducks and geese were present – especially on the east end of the flooded
fields – including Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, Redheads, and a few
American Wigeon and Wood Ducks.  A Bald Eagle was perched nearby.
We then proceeded a few miles west, checking ponds along Hwy. DM and I, and
also WIBU road.  At the latter spot a Pectoral Sandpiper was briefly seen, but
unfortunately it took off before everyone was able to get a look.

From there we headed north, with a stop at a farm outside of Arlington to see
Eurasian Collared-Doves.  Several were present, as well as Cedar Waxwings, and
a flock of blackbirds that included a couple of Brown-headed Cowbirds and Rusty
Blackbirds.  Continuing north, some in the group spotted Turkey Vultures, a
Northern Shrike, and an Eastern Phoebe along the way.  We paused to make a
“pit stop” at at gas station off Hwy. CS, near the interstate west of
Poynette.  Following that, we continued on to Whalen Grade, a causeway on Hwy.
V near the eastern edge of Lake Wisconsin.  There was still a large amount of
ice present there, with everything on the west side still frozen, but there was
a sizeable area of open water to the east.  Many ducks were present there,
including Common Goldeneye, Common and Hooded Mergansers, Bufflehead, and
Gadwall, as well as a few more Green-winged Teal, pintails, shovelers, and
others.

Our final stop was the Rowan Creek Fishing Area, which was back toward Poynette
along Hwy. CS.  We hiked the trails (some of which were still icy) adding a few
songbirds such as Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmouse, Downy Woodpecker,
and both White-breasted and Red-breasted Nuthatches. We returned to the parking
and headed for home around 1:00 PM. It had a great day of birding, with lots of
“first-of-year” for everyone!  Thanks to Jeff Baughman for co-leading this
event.  (By the way, when Jeff and I returned to Goose Pond following the field
trip there was a Snowy Owl sitting on the ice off to the east!)

Tom Schultz
WSO Field Trips co-chair
Green Lake Co.