[wisb] WSO Field Trip - White River Marsh (highway detour)

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:47:48 -0500

This coming Saturday will be the annual WSO White River Marsh field trip,
and I wanted to pass along a note of caution to anyone attending.  (FYI -
this area is located in Green Lake County.)

As of the last couple of weeks, there is a traffic DETOUR to be aware of --
and it might affect you, depending on which direction you are coming from.
Highway 23 is now closed for reconstruction from Princeton east for about 5
miles.  If you are coming from the east along Hwy. 23 from Ripon, you will
encounter a large sign just to the east of Green Lake that directs vehicles
to take a detour that goes south on Hwy. A (south from the Hwy. 49/23
intersection).  This detour would take you southward all the way around
Green Lake (the lake) via Hwy. K, and it could add about 10-15 minutes to
your trip.

An alternate (and much more direct) route would be to CONTINUE west beyond
the detour signs on Hwy. 23 (near the Hwy. 49 intersection) for about 1.5
miles, where you would turn right (west) on Hwy. A.   You would follow A for
only about 1/4 mile, as that county road soon turns off to the right
(north).  Instead of turning here, continue straight on Princeton Road for
4.0 miles.  At the bottom of a hill and around a curve, watch for Old Green
Lake Road turning off to the right.  This road will take you straight west
to Princeton, and back to Hwy. 23.  Turn right on 23 and go through
Princeton in the usual way to get to Hwy. D.

This field trip is an early one, starting at 5 AM so we can enjoy the dawn
chorus of marsh birds, including American Woodcock and Wilson's Snipe, Sora
and Virginia Rails, American Bittern, Sandhill Crane, Barred and Great
Horned Owls, and many other species.  Last year we were entertained by a
calling Yellow Rail, which we have heard there on several occasions.

Please contact me if you'd like any additional information about this field
trip, or you could view a copy of the field trip schedule on the WSO website
at: http://wsobirds.org/wso_dates.html       Look for the "2011 Field Trips"
schedule link at the top of the page.

Anyway, I hope you can join us!  Remember, there is no need to be a WSO
member to attend our field trips.  Just show up and join in on the fun!

Tom Schultz
WSO President
WSO Field Trips co-chair
Green Lake Co.