[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 4/25/11 - Two new BIGBY species, FOY butterfly

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:29:14 -0700 (PDT)

Pretty decent weather in Milwaukee today. Hazy sunshine, temps in the 50s,
relatively light winds. Added two new 2010 walking BIGBY species, bringing the
total to 114 species.

Some highlights:

* Northern Waterthrush. One bird in a wet brushy area just to the east of
Veterans Park lagoon. Only my second warbler of the season. 2010 BIGBY species
#113.

* Grasshopper Sparrow. Several decent looks on the Lakeshore State Park
prairie. 2010 BIGBY species #114.

* Savannah Sparrow. Extended singing in Lakeshore State Park. Not sure I've
heard one sing before. Got to within ten feet. The yellow over his eye extended
quite a ways back. It was bright enough that I'd almost call it "meadowlark
yellow". Beautiful bird!

* Do Mallards and Red-breasted Mergansers interbreed? Whitey the Mallard and a
female Red-breasted Merganser have been spending a lot of time near each other
behind the art museum.

* Lots of Horned Grebes in Milwaukee Harbor and Lakeshore State Park.

* Lots of Red-breasted Mergansers off of North Point.

* And my first butterfly of the year!! Mostly black (dark blue?) on the wings,
with the back edges of the wings yellow. Any idea what species this might be?

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee