[wisb] Re: WI Point sightings this morning, with unidentified gull - photos (Superior, WI)

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mou-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:12:35 -0500

Sorry for this late response regarding an email nearly a week ago... The
gull of interest that I photographed was a Ring-billed Gull with very dark
plumage. The head shape/size, bill shape/size, and overall plumage structure
(not including color though) lead to Ring-billed Gull. The overall plumage
is somewhat melanistic (darker-than-usual pigment within the feathers).
Within raptors, melanistic individuals (AKA dark morphs) typically have a
considerable about of dark-chocolate-colored feathers.
Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Guided bird hikes and bird
photographywww.pbase.com/birdfedrbirdfedr@xxxxxxxxx

Count Interpreter
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory
P.O. Box 3006