[wisb] Lake Michigan, etc

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:11:16 -0500

Lake Michigan from Harrington Beach SP thru Cleveland and Fischer
Creek CP were unusually quiet this morning!!  Harrington had only a
few flocks of Red-br. Mergansers, one small flock of flyby Greater
Scaup, and 3 Sanderlings on the beach.
Kohler/Andrae SP and Sheboygan were likewise quiet.  Kohler had
nothing on the lake, and only a small flock of Pine Siskins at the
feeders.  Sheboygan had 2 Horned Grebes and a Redhead.

Cleveland/Hika Park had a small flock of Redheads and Greater Scaup,
plus 3 Snow Buntings that flew in off the lake and worked the shoreline.

Fischer Creek had about 8 Greater Scaup and 2 Ruddy Ducks.  As you
can see the diving ducks apparently are not moving yet on the lake,
some what unusual considering this is the last third of October.

However Collins Marsh had 10 duck species, plus the expected Canada
Geese.  A nice surprise was an adult Ross's Goose feeding with some
Canadas on one of the fields.  When I stopped to enjoy it the entire
flock took flight and landed back where one could no longer see them.

For the morning about 60 species, but that includes things in my yard
that I did not see along the lake.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI