[wisb] Vernon Marsh (Waukesha Co.)/Powell Marsh (Vilas/Iron Cos.)

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:43:12 -0500

I went to Vernon Marsh late this afternoon.  At Benson Ave. there were a lot of
swallows including barn, bank, and I believe some tree.  Had never gotten a
real good look at a bank swallow before.  Thought I might have a chance to
practice with shorebirds, but not much luck.  Only one I saw was a single
semipalmated plover.  Some green herons, wood ducks, etc... and a nothern
harrier and not much else. Off Frog Alley Rd. I went to the Figure 8's.  A lot
more heron activity here, including probably at least a dozen great blue
herons, a number of green herons, and at least one black-crowned night heron,
actually a lifer for me.  Also had a group of 5 great egrets fly over later and
probably a couple dozen sandhill cranes.  There was some shorebird habitat in
the closer parts of the figure 8, and despite having seen what looked like a
flock of shorebirds, I never could find any really.  I did hear what I believe
was a greater yellowlegs and did see what appeared to be a distant tringa sp.
but that was really it.  I also had northern harriers or two there, as well as
at least two river otters. If heading there, I would try the Figure 8 system
and stick to the western (closer) "loop."  I did not check the northern part of
the loop or the Greenwing Dike, both which could also be better.  The eastern
part of the Figure 8's, and the area off of Benson Ave. that was good for
shorebirds in the past, arepretty covered with grass.  It seems like areas that
previously had more open water were much drier this year and are now
consequently pretty overgrown with vegetation, but that's just my impression.
I could see, for example, that the Greenwing Dike area closer to Frog Alley Rd.
is pretty grassy and only opens up into open water much further out. Good time
for photographing marsh wrens, which were seen in a number of places.  I find
that at other times they can be pretty hard to see. Also this past Wednesday, I
went to Powell Marsh in Vilas Co.  Walked one of the dikes there and flushed 3
American bitterns, had a number of sparrows (swamp, what looked like possible
Lincoln's, and maybe one of each song and white-throated).  Also had a northern
harrier there and a group of fall palm warblers near a bog.  I had never been
there before but looked like a nice place to explore, especially if you have a
bike. -Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.