[wisb] Arena Boat Landing (Iowa Co.) Saturday

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 21:45:38 -0500

Just realized I forgot to post this last night.  Jim Otto and I stopped at
Arena on the way to Avoca yesterday morning.  Even though there are extensive
sand flats, there were so many campers on them (and a canoe outfitter was
unloading his trailer, too) that there were only a couple shorebirds (two
Spotties.)  Lots of swallows over the river, but not a lot else.

We stopped near the bridge on the way out and had a little more activity,
including a family of Indigo Buntings.  Heard a Barred Owl and a Red-shouldered
Hawk calling.  We also stopped near the pine plantation.  There was a bird
calling from towards the river that had us stumped at first.  It sounded
vaguely like the Red-shoulder, but not really.  It finally broke into a more
familiar Pileated Woodpecker cackle.  Neither of us had ever heard one do that
first call - it was strange.

By the way, speaking of Avoca, Dorothy Legler mentioned during our butterfly
field trip that she and Karl had heard more than one Bell's Vireo a few weeks
ago off one of the access roads that leads into the Lower WI Riverway in Iowa
County.  She and I had thought we heard one on the same field trip, at the same
location, last year.  (We didn't hear any yesterday.)

Peter Fissel
Madison WI