[wisb] Varied Thrush YES

  • From: Dan Belter <bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tlane@xxxxxxxxx, johnstinlauer@xxxxxxxxx, aekcanoe@xxxxxxx, arzelle@xxxxxxx, LBJSMITH@xxxxxxx, firaryrj@xxxxxxxxxxx, sjhaug@xxxxxxxxxxx, dblepinski@xxxxxxxxx, edjay923@xxxxxxxxxxx, gtreu42@xxxxxxxxx, tjwood@xxxxxxxxx, moore804@xxxxxxxxxxx, jermar@xxxxxxxxx, birdwatcherjrain@xxxxxxxxx, Ken6600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bbrye@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lynnkaufmann@xxxxxxxxx, lynnie63@xxxxxxxxxxx, ringlebirder@xxxxxxxxx, limjb1@xxxxxxxxx, rjm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, abby.george@xxxxxxxxxxx, wausauisok2@xxxxxxx, mschultz46@xxxxxxxxx, rgrimm@xxxxxxxxx, fisher@xxxxxxxxx, Sue2earth@xxxxxxx, surprise42@xxxxxxx, tierney@xxxxxxxxxxx, dljt4@xxxxxxxxxxx, wbuwausau@xxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:09:05 -0600 (CST)

I just returned a little while ago from viewing the Varied Thrush, and yes, it
is an adult male. My directions were somewhat wrong in my first posting. The
bird is actually just southeast of Merrill a few miles and coming to a bird
feeding station along the Wisconsin River. I asked the home owner (Richard) if
it would be alright for others to come and see this bird, and he is very
willing to let others come and see it. All he ask is that you call him first to
make sure he'll be home when you make arrangements to visit. Richard is retired
and is home most of the time.

The Varied Thrush is coming to the back yard bird feeding station (many
feeders) of Richard and Stephanie Martin. They live southeast of Merrill, along
the Wisconsin river. Address is N267 River View Ave., Merrill, WI Call the
Martins at 715-536-5700 to make arrangements. Here are the directions for your
GPS; N 45.12598* W 089.62771*. Driving directions are; take the highway 64 exit
at Merrill and go east on Highway 64 for several hundred feet to County Highway
W. Go south on Highway W for about 3 1/2 to 4 miles to River View Avenue (which
is a horseshoe road that connects back to Hwy W). Turn west and drive to
fire/sign number N267. The Martins live just inside Lincoln County from the
Lincoln / Marathon County line.

If I recall correctly, Richard said that the bird has been coming into his
feeding station since the end of December, the 28th I think?

Good luck. Lets hope this bird stays around.

Dan Belter
Weston,
Marathon County,
Wisconsin.