[wisb] Re: Bald Eagles, Fox River, Green Bay area

  • From: Bill Krouse <bkrouse1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 23:22:05 +0000

The Eagle nest north of Wrightstown has been there for at least 3-4 years - but
last year was the first time I saw a pair in the nest. I had always only seen
one Eagle in the nest before - not that there might not have been a pair. I
first noticed that nest when they cleared the land along the Fox River for a
new subdivision. I occasionally travel Lost Dauphin Road which runs along the
West side of the river.

The pair near St. Norbert College are likely the pair that nest in the Brown
County Fairgrounds. I have spent many a lunch watching those birds from a safe
distance (please respect them and do the same!). A greyt way to let stress at
work drain away.  :-)
Although there are several nests around the mouth of the Fox at Green Bay, and
those birds do hunt the river also. If you want a neat place to Eagle watch,
the GB public park / boat landing accross from the Pulliam Power Plant often
has several Eagles right where the river meets the bay - they like to fish the
warm water discharge, as do the American White Pelicans and diving ducks. You
can see it from the Tower Drive / Leo Frigo Bridge on I-43, but going down to
the park is a much better view where you are not going 65 mph. And if you are
lucky, you can spot the Peregrin Falcon on the smoke stack nest box at the
Pulliam Power Plant. It is easy to get to, right off of I-43, and past Bay
Beach! Stop off and say "hi" to Ty & Ida Baumann!!
--
Bill Krouse
Suamico, Brown County, WI

Ask me how to adopt a Greyhound or Borzoi!
http://www.gpawisconsin.org/
http://www.nbrf.info/
http://www.NoWisconsinPuppyMills.org

---- Kevin <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Interesting that Andrew noted a new nest as I also found a new nest in
Neenah today. This one is located on the west shore of the fox river near
Kimberly-Clark and is directly across the river from an old nest on Jones
island which I think may not be used anymore. There is also a nest near HWY
441 that has probably been abandoned due to an expanding suburb that
resulted in a cul-de-sac and several large houses surrounding the 1/4 acre
plot the eagle nest tree is on.

Kevin Kearns
Neenah

From: Kevin <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM
Subject: [wisb] Re: Bald Eagles, Fox River, Appleton
To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I took a look around Neenah/Menasha today to see what ducks were around and
how many eagles were present. Last year, I was able to find 65 eagles on the
same route, today I found zero - although I did see one 1st year bird
yesterday. Otherwise, the ducks were standard, ~1,800 mallards, ~700 C.
Goldeneyes, a smattering of Common and RB Mergs and around 25 Black Ducks.
Was surprised not to find any Scaup, Ring Neck or Redheads.

Also found one Kingfisher.

Kevin Kearns
Neenah