[wisb] Van Patten Rd this morning

  • From: Stuart Malcolm <stuart.malcolm26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:14:58 -0500

Hi all,

Van Patten Rd is the gift that keeps on giving. The first bird I saw this
morning was a Ruddy Turnstone. Shortly after two beautiful American Golden
Plovers in nearly full summer plumage flew into the stubble field and landed in
the same scope view as a Buff-Breasted Sandpiper!
It's my birthday today so a pretty neat present.
The Plovers only hung around for 1/2hour or so, the Turnstone was still around
at 11am but I couldn't see it on my last sweep at midday (it did go missing for
a while this morning though so it might still be around).

There was also another Buffie in the other dike as well (at the same time as
the one was in the stubble so there are at least two there).

Also there were:

Semi-P Plover - 5
Semi-P Sandpiper - 6
Stilt Sandpiper - 3
Baird's Sandpiper - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs - 3
Pec Sand - 5
Dowitcher sp - 1 distant bird
10+ Least Sands, Wilson's Snipe and Killdeer.

Peregrine -1
Northern Harrier -1

Regards,

Stuart Malcolm