[wisb] Upnorth Birding Changes

  • From: timarytm@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: Wisbirdn Post <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 05:47:41 -0700 (PDT)

We went on our usual morning walks this past weekend  (August 4-5)and were
amazed at the lack of our usual birds. We had no least flycatchers, no veerys
or ovenbirds, no warblers songs at all, two hermit thrush calls, two robins, no
chipping sparrows, no song sparrows, 1 yellow bellied sapsucker, 1 downy, no
hairy woodpeckers in 2 days!! Not one of our indigo buntings or wood warblers
were in their usual spots. The woods were quiet. Bugs are still in abundance,
however! Since this is our first year of active birding, this may be typical
for this time of year but can't say I liked it! We also did not have any
rose-breasted grosbeaks at the feeders or anyplace else.
We did find two mixed flocks of birds moving through, one on each day, with
probably around 30 birds in each group. We picked out black capped chickadees,
many red-eyed vireos and eastern wood peewees, black-throated green warblers, a
black and white warbler and a mourning warbler.

Any tips on how to get the most out of a moving mixed flock of birds?

The Peewees and chickadees seemed to be the only birds calling. None of the
birds sat still long at all. There were groups of two to four birds everywhere
it seemed. I soon realized that I needed to put the camera away and grab my
binoculars. Typically, my husband uses the binoculars and I bird with the
camera, both of us working on the same bird. We had the feeling splitting up
the birds some way is the way to go. We have no idea how to get a species
count. The birds were mostly mid-level in the trees.

Mary Maertz
Forest County