[wisb] Re: Upcoming WSO Trip and nearby waterfalls

  • From: <bkrouse1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, cschwartz3@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 21:45:12 +0000

I third that notion. Sarah & I were at all of the mentioned State Parks &
waterfalls this spring, and they are spectacular. Big Manitou in Pattison SP is
the highest falls in WI at 180 feet, and we saw several warblers just walking
from the parking lot to the falls overlook.
Copper Falls and Brownstone Falls on the Tyler Forks in Copper Falls SP yeilded
a whole mess of bird species, including a spectacular fly by on the river at
Devil's Gate from a hunting Osprey. There were warblers everywhere, I think we
saw about 12 different species in a couple of hours.
Amnicon Falls SP has a very cool old covered bridge to walk across the river,
that uses a unique suspension system of rods.

I highly recommend these places to see (and the potato skins sound good too!).
Good Birding!!

--
Bill Krouse
Suamico, Brown County, WI

Ask me how to adopt a Greyhound or Borzoi!
http://www.gpawisconsin.org/
http://www.nbrf.info/
http://www.NoWisconsinPuppyMills.org

---- Carl Schwartz <cschwartz3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Pleased to report that as of my visit last week, "Now and Then Falls" was
flowing well; I would voice a hearty second to all of Wayne's trip advice
(aside from the potato skins) and add that a stop at Copper Falls State Park
would also be worth the time if your route takes you farther east.

Carl Schwartz
Fox Point
Milwaukee County