[wisb] Unprecedented !! , in Oshkosh, this a.m.

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:19:38 -0700 (PDT)

   I had another subject line I wanted to do too, like,"Mostly cloudy wirth
scattered pelicans".    Which was pretty much the case while witnessing the
biggest number of Horned grebes in my birding history here in Oshkosh today.
From Miller's Bay (8 birds), then to Menominee Park Beach (9 more), then off
from The Waters, formerly the Legion, (12 more)  a grand total of 29 birds.  I
have one question:  Daryl, or anyone seeing Lake Michigan this spring, how many
HG's have been seen this migration?  Did we have a major increase in HG
population or what?  I also had all diving ducks present combined with all 3
sites, minus Goldeneyes, and as my 2nd subj. line states, single pelicans were
scattered everywhere.  Is that significant of something, such as the actual
foreboding weather forecast?  Which is absurd in itself, or is it just a
Wisconsin thing?  I also had a pair of FOY Forster's terns at The Waters.  It's
horrible what our spring
 migrants have to cope with in this impending storm.  Get's me concerned for
our Peregrine Pals at the campus, who were there this a.m. too. Got an osprey
yesterday.  And in conclusion,  kind of off-topic, but on subject,  did anyone
see "Rio"  this weekend, the latest movie from the creator's of Ice Age?  It's
basically a bird story, about 2 Blue Macaws, it was very, very cute and highly
recommendable, Had a hint of the Little Mermaid in it.

    Paul Bruce, Winnebago Co.