[wisb] Unique Chickadee-behavior photos, gulls & more, from this morning

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MOU List <mou-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 21:00:57 -0600

Here is one of the most unique and coolest things I've ever seen a chickadee
do...
This morning while out at WI Point, the windchills were -20 to -30F, coming
off the lake. I braved the cold for about 15 minute durations in and out of
the van. There was a flock of 8 Black-capped Chickadees at the end of the
point, flitting around and feeding on some few-inches-above-the-snow seed
clusters. The chickadees would cling to the thin stalks of the plants as
they picked the seeds off. While clinging to the stalks, they would pull
themselves towards the stalk, keeping their legs close to their body... The
catch is that they would brace themselves with their tails, using the tail
as a "foot" to keep them up off the ground. Talk about an amazing amount of
dexterity to keep themselves upright, while eating. It's humbling to see how
hardy these little birds are during the coldest times. I hope you enjoy the
pictures below. They are some of my best and favorite Black-capped Chickadee
shots that I've ever taken.

There are several more chickadee shots in this album, but I'm listing the
ones that stand out. Feel free to scroll through the album, as they were
taken in the order which they were taken.
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404389
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404394
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404396 (stepping up to eat)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404397 (not even touching the ground
with the feet!)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404395
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404399
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404403 (another shot of bracing
itself with the tail)

Among the many Herring Gulls at the Superior Landfill, I counted a total of
4 Glaucous Gulls, One Great Black-backed Gull, and a possible Thayer's Gull
today. I also photographed at least two of the "mutt" Iceland/Thayer's
Gulls.

Glaucous Gull
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404409

Great Black-backed Gull
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404413

Likely Thayer's Gull
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404418

Superior Lighthouse, and Ice Closeup
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404404
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/132404416

Here in Duluth, the Rock Pigeons and Black-capped Chickadees were going nuts
on the backyard birdfeeders all day long. As I was heading slightly north on
53 (heading through Duluth), I saw a Bald Eagle perched on the ice!

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

NATURALLY AVIAN - Bird photography and guided birdwatching tours
www.pbase.com/birdfedr
www.naturallyavian.blogspot.com
birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx