[wisb] Re: Unethical behavior - Great Gray Owl

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scott.weberpal@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 21:48:51 -0700

A couple things to summarize after extensive discussion over on the Wisconsin
Birding facebook page:

-Rest assured a local law enforcement including a DNR warden will be contacted
in the morning.
-At least one of the individuals involved was eager to give out his business
card and thus can now be identified.
-All accounts thus far suggest nearly all visiting birders have been very well
behaved, these individuals aside obviously.
-Be
 thinking about how you as a birder will react on site if this sort of
behavior commences in your presence. I'm not exactly sure of the best
course of action to be honest. At a minimum I'd say to speak up, express
 dissent, take photos and video, and record license plates. While
baiting is not against the law (let's avoid that painful and useless
discussion...), I would guess this sort of behavior at least borders on
legal harassment of a federally-protected migratory bird.

Although
 obviously disheartening, the huge reaction spreading throughout
hundreds if not thousands of facebook users lends promise that the
Wisconsin birding community won't stand for this should it occur again
in the days ahead.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady