[wisb] Unethical behavior - Great Gray Owl

  • From: Scott Weberpal <scott.weberpal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 22:42:16 -0600

Mike already posted the video, but I figured I would post and give a little
more background.
When I arrived 4 or so birders/photographers were already set up
photographing the GGOW which was perched in a small tree maybe 15' from the
road, close enough anyone could have gotten a great shot with even a
point-and-shoot camera.  Two photographers from Illinois thought it would
be advantageous to use mice to draw the owl in closer.  The first two mice
were dropped and the bird picked them up and flew a short distance to
devour them.  The next two mice were used essentially as tools to torment
the bird while getting photographs.  One of them tried putting a mouse on
their head, then their arm, and other on their boot in an attempt to get
the owl to land on him.  One birder/photographer spoke up about the
behavior but they continued on using the mice as tools to get the bird in
close.  To them, the owl was nothing more than a toy - they both had huge
lenses and were obviously getting great shots without the need to bait.

It was very clear the entire time that the owl had no fear of people and
when it wasn't being baited was perched very near the road and nearly
landed on my camera at one point while flying across the road.

Here's the video again: http://youtu.be/p8MNvJe0oN0

And some pictures:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8521/8516797349_2a4f985d0d_o.jpg<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm9.staticflickr.com%2F8521%2F8516797349_2a4f985d0d_o.jpg&h=IAQEEv_5K>
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8523/8516797375_c849de1c5e_o.jpg