[wisb] UW Arboretum (Dane Co.) today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 17:35:55 -0500

I was having so much fun watching the birds in my yard this morning that it
took me a while to get going to the UW Arboretum.  I hiked the Wingra Woods,
Gallistel Woods and a bit of the Lost City Forest, then came back through
Longenecker Gardens.  Picked up a bunch of FOY birds right away, including
Hermit Thrush, RC Kinglet (everywhere, along with a couple of GCs,)
Broad-winged Hawk (I kept hearing it, then saw it soaring over.  It circled
around over Wingra Woods for a good ten minutes, calling all the time,) Winter
Wren, Field Sparrow (pair,) and lots of Chipping Sparrows in the conifers in
Longenecker.  Also had flyover Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks, and at least a
half-dozen YB Sapsuckers (had three of those in my yard this morning.)  Quite a
few anglewing butterflies out and about - managed to ID two Eastern Commas and
a Question Mark.

My yard on the southeast side of Madison was still hopping when I got home this
afternoon - had a No. Flicker (only the second-ever for my current yard) and my
FOY House Wren a little while ago (maybe it came up from Andy's house...)
Guess I'd better get the wren houses up!  My yard list just for today is up to
19 species, including Purple Finch (I only ever get one female - weird) and
Pine Siskin.  The latter have been hanging around since mid-February - anywhere
from one to three at a time (lately, just one, but it's pretty regular.)  Still
a couple of Fox Sparrows here, and I've had a couple of White-throats today. I
keep hearing birds on the Masters broadcast that cause me to hit the mute
button, but the Carolina Wrens and Tufted Titmice are always down in Georgia...

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.