[wisb] Re: Turkeys in trees

  • From: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 11:03:35 EST

Maybe the turkeys are on energy reserve, lacking  a decent ground food
supply.  When I lived in the east, following the then  infrequent snow events,
I'd see them consuming the fruit of sumac, often bending  the plant top with
their weight.  If they knocked it to the top of the  snow, the flock would
scramble to pick at it while negotiating the drifts with  some difficulty.

I do wonder how or if the 2 meadowlarks at the  Lakefront are surviving
with all this snow cover.

The squirrels here  have tunneled down into the drifts to scavenge for se
ed; yesterday, I watched a  junco peering down one of these channels and
moving from side to side around the  hole as though it was holding its breath
and
ready to dive in, ala Jules  Verne.  Pretty funny.  (it never did make the
leap)

Betsy Abert, So. Milwaukee