[wisb] Trumpeter Swan - Lower Mud Lake - Dane County

  • From: Andy P <andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 20:48:42 -0800 (PST)

With the recent cold there is a lot of ice out from the overlook at Lewis Park.

There were 11 swans within 100 meters.  This time I was able to get a good look
at almost all of them and to my surprise one of them was a Trumpeter Swan.  So
all three swans right now...perfect for my Green Big Year!

Birds were singing up a storm on the snow day this week.  My real surprise was
that the Tufted Titmouse that has occasionally visited me for the past 2 months
had a buddy and he was singing all day when I was out preparing my awesome snow
fort.  House Finches, chickadees, and cardinals are also singing.

Speaking of "singing"...the sounds on Lower Mud Lake are great right now.  The
goldeneyes are doing their "woodcock" peent and the common mergansers have this
really eerie nasal call while swimming after their lady friends.  Very cool.

Andy Paulios
McFarland, WI