[wisb] T. Solitiare update (Portage Co.)

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 23:16:50 +0000 (UTC)

Here's your weekly Townsend's Solitaire (TOSO) report, comin' in hot! :)

Saturday, January 29th--TOSO and American Robin (AMRO) quite active, including
much singing on the TOSO's part. 12pm-2pm.

Sunday, January 30th--TOSO absent. Can't recall if AMRO was present.

Monday, January 31st--TOSO seen at 3:20pm by Greg Seegert. AMRO present as
well.

Tuesday, February 1st--TOSO absent, AMRO present.

Wednesday, February 2nd--TOSO seen at 8:45am, 2:50pm-3:10pm, and 4:15pm. AMRO
there too.

Thursday, February 3rd--TOSO and AMRO absent. Too windy and cold, I think.

Friday, February 4th (today)--I was pleasantly surprised to return to my dorm
at 1:30pm to see the South Riveredge Bird Club (right? Sorry if I got the name
wrong.) getting looks at the TOSO and AMRO. The TOSO spent some time preening
close to the ground in the Fire bush, the short and thick bushes right next to
the handicap ramp up to the hall. I have never seen the TOSO in there before,
so it is a good place to look, and you can get really up close if you walk up
the handicap ramp. The AMRO and TOSO were later joined by a gorgeous male
Northern Cardinal (what a color palette!) who appeared to be taking note of a
bird nest at mid-height in the Paper Birch. Anyways, the TOSO was seen from
~1:30-2:45pm.

Again, the location is outside of Smith Hall, mainly in the crapapple tree, on
the east side of Reserve Street on the UW-SP campus in Stevens Point.

Good luck, and good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, Portage Co.