[wisb] Today was AMAZING!!!!

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:10:47 -0700 (PDT)

   Good evening folks, as I write this, and what a good....wait... AWESOME day
this was.
  Just got back about 20 minutes ago with my brother.  He treated me to a day
of fishing!!
But that was just a part of it.  The birding was intensely better.  We left
around 9:15 this a.m., headed out to WAUSHARA COUNTY  and fished on Porter's
AND John's Lakes, both just 2 miles apart, and the birds we encountered?   WOW,
to say the least.  What sucked was the very few warblers we did have, but what
we did 1 of them was actually a BAY-BREAST, my FOY.  Other's were yellowthroat,
blackpoll and magnolia.  Heard a towhee just out of Mt. Morris, flushed a
vulture from the roadside along Cty. S, so we had a very close look at that,
bluebirds all over the place, but the action that really makes me send this out
to Wisbirdland happened at Porter's Lake.  We heard and saw 3 RED-SHOULDERED
HAWKS ( foy as well) soaring high and over the lake, heard 1 Broadwing hawk in
the woods close by to us at one point.....and....(drum-roll, please)  6
woodpecker species were heard, too.  3 sapsuckers, + redbelly, downy, hairy,
flicker and Pileated.  Never
 before having that many sps at once. Picked up an osprey, Cooper's hawk and 2
more pileateds at John's.  What makes today as amazing as I make it out to be
is that all, to most, of you should know how often I GET OUT, and to be birding
in another part of the state, beit close by or where-ever else,  is almost
ethereal to me.  I had the day off of work and my brother John, of all names,
and I were doing what we love doing best.......enjoying the outdoors, and I was
in my own heaven.  He emailed me the other day with the subject line, "Want to
go fishing?"  and that day happened, and so did the birds.
     Fond memories of today from,
     Waushara/ Winnebago counties,
     Paul Bruce  = )