[wisb] Titmice and Pelicans - Lake Mills

  • From: "Kevin Kearns" <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin birding network \(E-mail\)" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:47:13 -0500

Since moving here from Neenah, I had all but given up hope of seeing soaring
Pelicans like I did on a daily basis from May-Oct in Neenah. However, Monday
afternoon, I spotted a small group of 6 WHITE PELICANS lazily circling the
western part of the town. We made our way to the lake but could not find
them. As far as I know, they do not nest here, although I thought I
remembered some mention of Lake Ripley being a nesting area for them. The
WBBA only shows Horicon and Green Bay as being nesting locations, but I
think this is now outdated as they do nest in Oshkosh, Trempealeau (I think)
and maybe even Crex. But then I have been wrong before............

I have also found TUFTED TITMICE in 4 different locations around Lake Mills
without trying real hard including one that I called into my yard
yesterday - first yard titmouse ever for me in any location. Fairly exciting
for someone who thinks they are one of the coolest birds we have (next to
Crows and Vultures).

Kevin Kearns
Lake Mills