[wisb] Thanks and quiet!

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 22:13:45 -0500

A big thanks to Steve who flushed the 4 Smith's Longspurs (which I did not see)
but also flushed the 5th one that flew low over the field giving me a great
view of a breeding plumaged male (with the dark woods in the background and of
course the bright sun).
Now for the quiet part of the subject title:  I checked all the major ponds in
Dane and Columbia counties, plus on the way down for the Smith's, the Rat River
area and Jersey Rd pond.  It was amazing how quiet all of these ponds were!!!
There was a nice number of yellowlegs (both species but mainly Greater) at the
Rat River "pond", but only a few Greater Yellowlegs at the Jersey Pond.  For
all of the Dane and Columbia ponds, the total of shorebirds was 1 Killdeer, 1
Dunlin, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper and 1 Wilson's Snipe!!  This is in sharp contrast
to what others found yesterday, proving what a difference a day makes!
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI