[wisb] Texas birds

  • From: "Audrey & Larry Johnson" <lorilynnfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:49:26 -0600

Hello Wisconsinites,
     I have spent the last few winters in the Valley--Rio Grande Valley--of
South Texas but decided to try Corpus Christi (known as the birdiest city in
the US) this year.  The fifth wheel is parked at NAS Corpus Christi.  The back
window surveys the sea wall on Corpus Christi Bay.  I think my "yard list" for
2010 stands at near 75 birds (I have 150 for this year).  I just watched a
Caracara taking the last tid bits from the head of a Royal Tern, at least I
think it was a Royal Tern because there wasn't much left to look at except the
yellowish bill.  When a second Caracara flew in it took what was left of its
meal and left.  But it lost its head and Caracara #2 was last seen picking on
it.  I haven't had a chance to check out the Corpus area very fully because I
had to drive down to Mission to find the Bare Faced Tiger Heron last Sat. and
today I drove North to see a Northern Wheatear near Beeville and a Northern
Jacana at Choke Canyon State Park.  Three ABA birds for 2010 is certainly a
good start.  I have only birded on the Navy base here and on nearby Oso Bay.
At low tide, there are thousands of shorebirds, waterfowl, herons and egrets
probbing, bobbing and diving for their meals.  A severe cold front and high
winds are forcast for the next few days so birding may be limited but I look
forward to exploring the wide variety of habitats that are in the Corpus area.
     Larry Johnson  Sparta, WI and Corpus Christi, TX