[wisb] TX pictures

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 14:50:39 -0600

I spent most of last week in South Texas, part of the time birding between San
Antonio and the Rio Grande Valley with Mark Korducki and part of the time with
friends who work at Laguna Atascosa NWR. The weather was absolutely perfect
except for a couple mornings of early dense fog but temps never failed to reach
the 80's. Mark and I had very good looks at the continuing Northern Jacana and
Northern Wheatear as well as my lifer Mountain Plovers, Sprague's Pipits, and
Ferruginous Hawk but unfortunately the Amazon Kingfisher was not discovered
until after we were in the area. As always, it was great to see most of the
normal South Texas specialties as well.

I spent a lot of time having fun with my new Canon DSLR and the following album
includes photos of Reddish Egret, Mottled Duck, Tricolored Heron, Northern
Wheatear, Mountain Plover, Couch's & Tropical Kingbird, Altamira Oriole,
Clay-colored Thrush, Golden-fronted and Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Green Jay,
White-tipped and Common Ground-Dove, Rock Wren, Least Grebe, Common Moorhen,
Crested Caracara, Harris's Hawk, Eastern Screech-Owl, Black Vulture, Loggerhead
Shrike, Long-billed Thrasher, Long-billed Curlew, Forster's and Royal Tern,
Black Skimmer, and a few more. Enjoy!

http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/january_2010&page=1

Tom Prestby

Milwaukee