[wisb] Swallows, attn. Daryl and Sherry, + off-topic excitement

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:29:57 -0700 (PDT)

 Hey everyone  --My daily cruise past the lake this a.m.not only included
goldeneyes, 3 merg. sps. a single pelican, 3 shovelers, 2 ruddies and some
geese but also 3 tree swallows, which seems to be an earlier record for me. I
usually get them on the first mild time of April.
    And since it was so crappy Sunday morning, (
 couldn't believe how hard it rained, with small hail inc,) guess who was IN
his box, but my Peregrine buddy Titan, and at this point I wish to publicly
express an apology, c/o the Christiansen's and Peter Fissel, about not
specifying me not mentioning that Titan is the Peregrine
 Falcon that's been hanging around Oshkosh for the past several months, almost
a year now.  He was so cute, nestled just inside the box with his head barely
visible. Again I hand out the apology and also the large THANKS to  the
Peregrine committee for the placement of the box.
        And now, the off-topic you waited for.  Friday I was more or less a
hero, saving the life of a mink that was hit by a car, out by the Carp Pond,
Asylum Bay area. It was a full grown male, just beautiful fur, luckily I had a
spare jacket in the trunk I used to wrap him up, cradled him like a cat, wiped
the blood off his face, and then my daughter and I found a real nice re-hab
center just within Neenah, on Muttart Rd.  Got to see a pair of redtails and a
pair of barred owls up close and personal. I was, however, not allowed to see
the Saw-whet owl that this gal had as a patient, which sucked, but was
understandable.  So,  Friday morning was very interesting.
    Paul Bruce, Oshkosh