[wisb] Re: Supplement: Shorebird Identification Needed:

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 08:11:04 -0500

Tom-
I just want to corroborate this. I did a couple of seasons of shorebird
observation in Willapa Bay in college. We would set up scopes and watch
sandpipers feed. If the tide was coming in, the birds would follow the edge
of the water and would often come up within a few feet if you didn't move
around too much. They can be very very confiding. Seems like the only major
predators they have on the flats are raptors; it's not like a human has
much chance of running one down.

The big trick then is getting the waterfowl not to freak out and spook the
shorebirds.

Thanks for sharing that.

Jesse

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Wright Family <thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I knew I wanted to sahre a little more about the story of the 16
> Sandpipers.
> When I first arrived, I approached them from the east end.  The retention
> pond is a "loopy L" shape with one end being to the west, and the other to
> the north.  As I got within 30 yards, they flew off, but the two other
> sandpipers remained.  After getting a couple decent photos and seeing the
> 16 fly to the north end, I decided to see if I could get a bit closer to
> the 16.  The 16 were noticeable small so I knew any decent photos would
> require my being pretty close.  But, I didn't want to spook them either.
>
> So, for the first 40 yards, I walked toward the middle of the pond.  Once
> I spotted the 16, I slowly sidestepped, facing outward looking at some
> Canada Geese on the opposite side.  Ever so slowly, I kept approaching.
>  When I got within 20 yards, I was pretty satisfied.  Stopped, waited, and
> eventually turned to take a couple photos.  The birds seemed undisturbed by
> my presence.
>
> So, I repeated my sidestepping. . . .  Eventually, I was within 10 yards.
>  Again, slowly, I just waited, giving the appearance that I was more
> interested in the Geese.  Eventually, I was able to lower myself and snap a
> few more photos.  After a bit, I was able to turn away from the birds, and
> walk away from the pond.  Not a single of the 16 birds flew off, or even
> gave the impression that I was a threat - thohg I am quite sure they were
> fully aware of my presence.  I thnk the slow approach, a method of
> "disinterest" has brought me closer to birds that days, and others past.
>  But, I also understand there are limits.
>
> I just thought I'd share because it was a very rewarding experience.
>

> Thanks,
> Tom Wright
> Wales, WI

> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn