[wisb] Supplement: Shorebird Identification Needed:

  • From: "Wright Family" <thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:40:37 -0500

I knew I wanted to sahre a little more about the story of the 16 Sandpipers.
When I first arrived, I approached them from the east end.  The retention pond
is a "loopy L" shape with one end being to the west, and the other to the
north.  As I got within 30 yards, they flew off, but the two other sandpipers
remained.  After getting a couple decent photos and seeing the 16 fly to the
north end, I decided to see if I could get a bit closer to the 16.  The 16 were
noticeable small so I knew any decent photos would require my being pretty
close.  But, I didn't want to spook them either.

So, for the first 40 yards, I walked toward the middle of the pond.  Once I
spotted the 16, I slowly sidestepped, facing outward looking at some Canada
Geese on the opposite side.  Ever so slowly, I kept approaching.  When I got
within 20 yards, I was pretty satisfied.  Stopped, waited, and eventually
turned to take a couple photos.  The birds seemed undisturbed by my presence.

So, I repeated my sidestepping. . . .  Eventually, I was within 10 yards.
Again, slowly, I just waited, giving the appearance that I was more interested
in the Geese.  Eventually, I was able to lower myself and snap a few more
photos.  After a bit, I was able to turn away from the birds, and walk away
from the pond.  Not a single of the 16 birds flew off, or even gave the
impression that I was a threat - thohg I am quite sure they were fully aware of
my presence.  I thnk the slow approach, a method of "disinterest" has brought
me closer to birds that days, and others past.  But, I also understand there
are limits.

I just thought I'd share because it was a very rewarding experience.

Thanks,
Tom Wright
Wales, WI