[wisb] Spring arrivals

  • From: "K. Hilary Ford" <khilaryf32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Doorcobirding <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 16:48:02 -0500

It has been interesting to note how the southern part of Door gets the
arrivals earlier than here in Ellison Bay.  Our March absence resulted in
returning to empty feeders and it took a couple of days for the local birds
to return.  Plus we still had 2 feet of snow on the ground and a further 6"
the night we returned (April 4).
There are still about 8 D.E. Juncos of various plumages, and the last two
days have brought some FOY: Chipping, Swamp, Song and Fox Sparrows, all in
such bright plumages. Blue Jay today again, and today we could not believe
a Brown Creeper pecking the peanuts to extract nuts and then going onto the
Marvel Meal feeder before going to run up and down the old Maple!  Has
anyone experienced that?

I also want to make a point about the recent Madison Audubon position
concerning the proposed hunting of Tundra Swans.  I think that as birders
and lovers of birds we firmly position ourselves against this hunting for
the many reasons that the group have made:  Difficulty to tell the
difference between Tundras and Trumpeters as well as other large white
birds such as cranes and egrets etc.  Also the fact that Wisconsin has
spent a lot of years and money on increasing the number of Trumpeter Swans
in the State that had declined so radically due to hunting many years ago!

I hope this forum will look into this and vigorously oppose this hunt.  My
apologies for touching on a controversial topic,

Hilary Ford
Ellison Bay
Door CO.