[wisb] Southern Milwaukee County today

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 18:02:59 -0500

The flooded field near Puetz Rd. and Pennsylvania Ave. did not have the
Semipalmated Plover that 3 birders ebirded yesterday, but it did have 16
Pectoral Sandpipers and 2 Wilson's Snipe.
At Wil-O-Way Grant Park a large accipiter with strong wingbeats flew
overhead. I was hoping it was the Goshawk that Steve Lubahn found a couple
of days ago, but the bird was rather high and I couldn't see tail banding
very well, and I have little experience with observing flying Goshawks, so I
relegated this one to the might-have-been file. A Sharp-shinned Hawk and
some Turkey Vultures were other sky birds. Fox Sparrow song filled the air,
and other migrants or new arrivals were E. Phoebe, Belted Kingfisher,
Northern Flicker, and my FOY Yellow-rumped Warbler. Ordinarily, my first
warbler of the year would be the day's highlight, but as I was leaving the
park I noticed Steve Lubahn and Mike Wanger had made an appearance. Steve
informed me that the 2 American Golden-Plovers and 2 A. Pipits that he had
found yesterday were still at the NE corner of Nicholson and County Line
Roads.
I headed back south and in the large field at this intersection I eventually
spotted the plovers which were hunkered down behind a small rise in the
field. At the same time, I spotted the pipits, and well that I did, since
after studying the plovers I couldn't relocate the pipits.
At Warnimont Park, birds with reddish tails dominated the woods between the
gun club and the archery range. I saw 3 Hermit Thrushes (FOY), and at least
11 Fox Sparrows. Golden-crowned Kinglets and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker were
other highlights.
My last stop of the day was a good one, Sheridan Park, were I saw FOY Swamp
Sparrow, Field Sparrow, Winter Wren, and Double-crested Cormorant. There
were more Fox Sparrows, Golden-crowned Kinglets, and another Belted
Kingfisher. Two White-winged Scoters, 4 Redheads, and 3 Ruddy Ducks were on
the lake with the still lingering scaup, Common Goldeneye, and Red-breasted
Mergansers.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County