[wisb] Sounds of spring

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:45:44 -0800 (PST)

I birded Milwaukee's Lake Park this afternoon (full report to follow tomorrow).

Just wanted to pass along a sure sign of spring. Many Northern Cardinals
singing, including two instances of dueling cardinals singing about 200 feet
apart.

I tried to record their songs on my Flip video camera, but for the most part
they were drowned out by background/traffic noise and/or wind on the
microphone. But I did find one quiet spot deep down in a Lake Park ravine. The
bird was in a tree at the top of the ravine.

You'll probably need to turn up your computer volume all the way to appreciate
this. It might not come through loud and clear, but it's definitely a tonic for
the winter-weary soul:

http://bit.ly/hNX2P0

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee