[wisb] Re: Silver Maples and birds

  • From: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 09:51:39 -0400 (EDT)

I agree with Elaine's observation of this stellar bird magnet.  I can
count on the large silver maple (unfortunately) close to my house to be a tree
of great service to birds.  It accounts for the highest number of sitings
in the yard, and clearly is a warbler magnet, particularly in the spring
when clouds of gnats and gnat-like insects swarm around the tree buds as they
open.  Its insect residents are targeted by Cuckoos to  Flycatchers through
Woodpeckers, and was host to my first  yard-bird back in October, 2002, a
Brown Creeper.  It cools the house in  summer creating a soothing
microclimate. It is with heavy heart that I must  remove this soft-wooded
friend of all
things feathered in the coming year,  as its (8') proximity to the house
along with the anomalies of weather  present potential issues.

If bird-folk have a largish yard or land free of overhead wires and  nearby
septic fields, I would recommend including silver maple in the mix.   Moist
soils are suitable for this fast-growing tree.

Betsy Abert, South Milwaukee

In a message dated 4/8/2014 12:10:15 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
elaineseverin@xxxxxxxxx writes:
In our brambly backyard, sap runs freely from  the crevices of an old
Silver Maple.  Today, I watched  a feathered quartet arrive on the trunk of
that
rough, fissured  bark.  All in the space of a moment - Brown Creeper
spiraling,  Red-bellied Woodpecker inspecting a cavity, Downy making chips fly,
and
a  Yellow-bellied Sapsucker stuck on sweet sap.  Old Silver -  the great
attraction.

Elaine Swanson
Pickett
FDL  County
To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use  the Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
Visit  Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at:  //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn