[wisb] Shoveler's sink/ID help request

  • From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'WISBIRD'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:01:27 -0500

Went for a walk this morning to Shoveler's Sink, which is near Cross Plains
in western Dane Co.  Following the path, dickcissels were everywhere, as
well as a yellowthroat heard and an eastern meadowlark seen.  But my
attention shifted to the quarry as I got further along, which is northwest
from the path.  Swallows everywhere.  I think they were mostly Northern
rough winged but I'd like someone to confirm.  They seemed to fly into
crevices in the cliffs, but I did not the gourd shaped structures that cliff
swallows use.  And they look most like NRW swallows, I think:

http://image62.webshots.com/762/0/48/80/2886048800059461204FnefZH_fs.jpg
http://image74.webshots.com/174/2/95/60/2211295600059461204rTjQhF_fs.jpg

There were also blackbirds that I think may be nesting near the top of the
cliffs.  Most of them I think were actually starlings, but some of them
didn't seem to be yellow-billed.  Anything else these could be?

http://image75.webshots.com/75/1/23/15/2682123150059461204HlHyyQ_fs.jpg
http://image74.webshots.com/174/8/92/80/2616892800059461204itWArg_fs.jpg

Also there at the quarry were killdeer, a red-tailed hawk, numerous RW
blackbirds and song sparrows.  Then I had to go to work.  Boo!

Dickcissel:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2303655670059461204yYsmud?vhost=outdoors
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2313783810059461204IPjwUL?vhost=outdoors

RW blackbird female: