[wisb] Shoveler's Sink tonight

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:49:41 -0500

The Black-bellied Whistling Duck and two Am. Avocets were still present when I
left Shoveler's Sink a little after 7:00 p.m., and still there an hour later
when Pat Ready called me.  The duck had appeared to be settling in for the
night, so I think it's likely to stick at least until tomorrow.  I am less sure
about the Avocets.  They were doing a lot of preening when I left, which may
have been a precursor to taking off after sunset.  Conditions are very good
tonight in So. Wisconsin - calm, or a very slight northerly breeze.

Red-necked Phalarope was also present, along with a couple of Stilt SPs and a
few other common species, including a Wilson's Snipe.  No sign of a Whimbrel,
however.

A reminder that I had to cancel the "Shorebirds of So. Wisconsin" Madison
Audubon field trip I was going to lead tomorrow.  However, I expect there will
be some experienced birders out at the Sink tomorrow to help beginners out with
shorebird IDs.  It's one of the few spots nearby that actually HAS some
shorebirds to look at...

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.