[wisb] Shiocton (including Eared Grebe) and Darboy-4/10/11

  • From: Andrew Reimer <andrew.reimer21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 19:08:46 -0500

Took my oldest boy for an outing north of the Mack Wildlife Area east of
Shiocton on Van Patten Rd.  There is as much flooded acreage as I have ever
seen there.  The number of migrants did not disappoint, although we had to
wait out a passing storm front shortly after we arrived.  The Eared Grebe
was clearly the highlight. The Canvasbacks and Redheads were not near the
observation area, but in a submerged corn field just west off the end of Van
Patten Rd. toward the Wolf River.  Complete list below.
Location:     Shiocton, Outagamie County, WI, US
Observation date:     4/10/11
Notes:     Observations from flooded fields just north of Mack Wildlife
Area.
Number of species:     30
Canada Goose     X
Wood Duck     6
Mallard     X
Blue-winged Teal     4
Northern Shoveler     4
Canvasback   6
Redhead   20
Ring-necked Duck     10
Lesser Scaup     24
Bufflehead     8
Ruddy Duck     6
Wild Turkey     12
Pied-billed Grebe     8
Eared Grebe     1
Great Blue Heron     2
Northern Harrier     1
American Coot     X
Sandhill Crane     4
Killdeer     4
gull sp.     X
Mourning Dove     X
American Crow     X
Tree Swallow     X
Eastern Bluebird     2
American Robin     X
European Starling     X
Song Sparrow     X
Dark-eyed Junco     X
Northern Cardinal     1
Red-winged Blackbird     X
Common Grackle     X

Back home after mass in the morning then later while doing yardwork had a
number of first-of-the-year sightings including two male Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers, a pair of Northern Flickers, a Hermit Thrush who spent the day
bouncing from my garden to the spruce trees, and late in the afternoon a
White-throated Sparrow.  Across the road in the pond six Hooded
Mergansers--all females--alighted on the pond, then left shortly afterwards,
and a Great Egret arrived to stalk the shoreline.

Thanks!
Andrew Reimer
Darboy (Appleton), Calumet County