[wisb] Re: Seminary Woods, CGI, MKE County

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cdermody@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 21:11:17 -0500

Hello!
I went to Seminary Woods at around 6:15pm and had a similar experience to
Cathy. It was quite birdy, with sapsuckers, hermit thrushes and
white-throated sparrows flitting all about. I saw the female Great horned
(well, her rump!), some flickers, Golden-crowned kinglets, robins, etc. I
didn't see the wrens, phoebe, or fox sparrow, or hear a towhee, but I
didn't walk very far into the woods.
Afterwards, I went to the CGI, hoping to find a FOY shorebird. No luck, but
I did find (I think) a Vesper Sparrow by the entrance. If someone could
verify, that would be great, as it's only the second time that I've seen
one.

Grackles and RWBBs (and starlings) were ALL over the CGI, and about four
dozen Blue-winged Teal were in the water along the fence, but they all flew
up and back into the center of the berm after I pulled up near them. It was
pretty neat to see them all. Several cold-looking Killdeer were around as
well.

Link to Vesper photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/49427613@N03/

Good birding,
Jennifer Ambrose
Milwaukee

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM, R & C Dermody <cdermody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I walked Seminary woods for about an hour at noon.  The floor of the woods
> was just
> hopping with HERMIT THRUSHES!  I never see more anywhere than here!  There
> were dozens,
> especially on the west end but they were in all parts.  The GREAT HORNED
> OWL Female
> continues to sit in her chosen nesting spot.  I did not see the male but I
> am sure he saw
> me!  YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS were all through the woods calling.  Heard
> and saw my FOY
> WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS.  FOY SWAMP SPARROW, FOY (heard only) 2 EASTERN
> TOWHEES, EASTERN
> PHOEBE, EASTERN FLICKER, FOX SPARROWS (not many), 2 WINTER WRENS, still
> plenty of
> DARK-EYED JUNCOS, CHIPPING SPARROWS, 4 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, and FOY
> GOLDEN-CROWNED
> KINGLET that accompanied me for about half a block, even when I tried to
> steer it back
> toward the brush, back it came to within 3 feet of me!  If I had a better
> back I could
> have picked it up!
>
> Cathy Dermody, Southeastern Milwaukee County
>

> -
Jennifer Ambrose
Bayview, Milwaukee County