[wisb] Pewaukee River Parkway - Virginia Rail

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 22:30:41 -0500

I spent a couple hours birding in the Pewaukee River Parkway this evening
and found some great marsh bird habitat, netting me a calling VIRGINIA RAIL
and some SWAMP SPARROWS.  Birds seen throughout the area were HERMIT
THRUSHES & singing FOX SPARROWS. I also managed to kick up a couple
WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS and a vocal female AM. KESTREL.
The Pewaukee River Pkwy is one of the larger wild public properties in the
Pewaukee area, and is framed by Hwys 16 & 164 on the west and east, I-94 on
the south, and Cty M to the north. There are a couple of access points, and
one parking lot off Cty JJ on the west.  A variety of subdivisions surround
it, but there is extensive habitat of many types - cattail marsh, prairie,
scrub, upland and riparian forests, and flowing river. I only recently
discovered it, but it's literally outside the front door to my apartment,
so I hope to frequent it throughout the year. It will be interesting to see
what migrates through and nests in this area.

If you do visit, be aware that some of the trails do venture into county
owned huntable land, so wear your blaze orange if you have it. I spoke with
one gentleman who said he will be hunting turkey in there this year, and I
have seen others bow hunting for deer and turkey last year. Also, right now
knee boots are a must to access most of the trails, as the marshes are
overflowing their banks.

http://www.waukeshacounty.gov/uploadedFiles/Media/PDF/Parks_and_Land_Use/Parks_System/HuntingMap_2012%20Pewaukee%2011x17.pdf

Cheers!

Tim Hahn