[wisb] Schlitz & Doctor's Park - MKE County

  • From: Chris Petherick <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 19:48:49 -0500

Hello,

I had the opportunity to get two quick walks in today.  First at the Schlitz
Audubon.  With the winds and weird weather, I thought maybe I would find
some interesting birds as well.  Not much going on though.  Some warblers -
Black and White, Nashville, Magnolia, Pine, Black Throated Green and
Redstart.  A single White Throated Sparrow and a Mute Swan in Lake Michigan.
Seems like that swan comes around each year for a few days.

I went over to Doctor's around 6pm and saw lots of gulls flying above the
bluff.  As I continued to watch I noticed a few "gulls" that didn't act like
gulls.  I had a pair of compact 8x20s with me, not my usual full sized, so
with the lighting it was a little difficult to see them (storm clouds coming
in quickly).  As it turns out there were at least 5 raptors hovering and
diving.  It was a really neat site, I watched for about 25 minutes.  The
raptors I could identify were 1 Red Tailed hawk and 3 Peregrine Falcons!
They would hover/slowly glide with the wind, then pull in their wings,
stretch them out and then pull in again and dive.  Sometimes they dove with
legs extended like they were hunting, other times they tucked everything
tight to their bodies and dove incredibly fast and disappeared over the
bluff, only to reappear a few minutes later and did the same.  After about
twenty minutes they had all slowly drifted north, away from where I could
see them.  It was a lot of fun to watch them.

Chris Petherick

Fox Point, Milwaukee County