[wisb] Lost Creek Wetland (Portage Co.)

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:31:50 +0000 (UTC)

A UW-SP friend and I checked out the Lost Creek Wetland area on the east side
of Stevens Point. Here are some observations of interest:
-Wood Duck: two females. Duck diversity is still very poor (3 spp. total.)

-NO shorebirds whatsoever.

-Common Gallinule: 1 juvenile. Rob Pendergast saw 4 birds last week.

-Sora: 1-2 birds heard.

-Lincoln's Sparrow: several individuals along with White-throated Sparrows and
Swamp Sparrows. (5 sparrow spp. total.) Also I could have sworn I heard a
Dark-eyed Junco...

-Only 3 warbler species. Non-breeding male Rose-breasted Grosbeak was a nice
passerine migrant (seen at Iverson Park.)

-Rob Pendergast and Joe Schaufenbuel also saw a Black-crowned Night Heron here
several times between last week and the week before.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, Portage Co.