[wisb] Sandhills staging/Buena Vista Grasslands & Columbia Co.

  • From: "pready tds.net" <pready@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 21:34:48 -0500

After attending a Bluebird (BRAW) BOD meeting in Stevens Point today I
stopped at the Buena Vista Grasslands to do some birding, hoping to see
Prairie Chickens. No such luck. I did however discover about 1,000 Sandhill
Cranes gathering along Hwy W and Townline Rd. Very cool to watch as they
kept flying in from the north and landing in mass in the fields. They fought
the brisk winds and zig -zagged in for a smooth landing. Other birds spotted
in the hour or so I was there this aft were Horned Larks, N. Juncos,
Rough-legged Hawk (1), Red-tail Hawks, Kestral, N. Harrier, Crows and a few
Blue Jays moving through.
Continuing south toward home I stopped near Goose Pond and found more
Sandhills staging in the late afternoon just before sunset. They were along
Harvey Rd just south of Hwy DM. Not as many as at BVG but still quite a
sight to see. I'd estimate around 200 or so flew in before dark.
A great day to be out birding and avoiding yard work! Sunday I am heading to
Lk MI on the Madison Audubon field trip so I guess I will leave the leaves
for another day. Too windy to rake anyways right?
Pat Ready
Dane Co.