[wisb] Carolina Wrens, Retzer Nature Center, Waukesha County

  • From: Todd Wilson <maxpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 22:12:33 -0500

I went to Retzer Nature Center this morning to try and record the
previously reported Carolina Wrens. I found the pair of wrens right
away, just where they were supposed to be, by the pond and boardwalk. I
followed them around for 2-1/2 hours and made numerous recordings. The
male sang sporadically and the traffic on the adjacent road was heavy,
so it took a while but I finally got a decent recording. Here a link to
a page where you can listen to it:

http://tinyurl.com/2fjxocd

Great to hear birds vigorously singing in November! Which got me
wondering why Carolina Wrens and not other birds? I did a little
research and found the answer: they are non-migratory, maintain pair
bonds year round and defend territories (with song) year round. This
pair definitely seems to be doing just that. It will be interesting to
see if they make it through the winter.

I also heard and recorded a couple of examples of the male song/female
chatter duet. Here's how its described in Sibley: "A long, buzzing
chatter sometimes given with song is apparently given by female."

Also saw a couple Pine Siskins and a Winter Wren.

Todd Wilson
Milwaukee