[wisb] Sandhill Crane Staging [Iowa County]

  • From: "Sharon Swiggum" <sgswiggum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding List" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 09:43:34 -0500

The staging area near Arena called to me Sunday afternoon. The roosting
movement to the Wisconsin River started at 4:52 p.m.
Sandhill Cranes counted from 4:52 p.m. to 5:29 p.m.

Flying: 1,008
On the Ground: 26  --- 18 on northside of Helena Road before movement; 8 on
southside of Helena Road at 5:29 p.m.]
Total: 1034 sandhill cranes

Location: Hwy 14 West;  North on Hayward Crossing; East on Helena Road.

Since there was not sun to hamper viewing, my car was parked facing west and
just west of the lane with three fire numbers. My left outside mirror was set
to hopefully catch those flying behind me and the binoculars were used for a
counting those quite far to the west past the Hayward Crossing intersection.
Most sandhills fly from the field to the south of Helena Road, so the field was
filled with cranes when I arrived about 10 minutes before the roosting movement
started.

Later in October, there will be larger staging numbers. My record in that same
location is 3,045 sandhill cranes in one visit.

As it gets closer to sunset during my counts, several gaggles of geese always
enter the area.

Keep Looking Up!
Sharon Swiggum

Richland Center in Richland County