[wisb] SW and NW Wisconsin

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 18:38:28 -0500

I spent the last three days birding down to Wyalusing SP, then up to
Stone's Bridge and Wisconsin Pt, then over to Crex Meadows (with a
little time at Fish Lake this morning).  After reading some of the
posts it is surprising I did not run into anyone except Ty and Ida B
at Baxter's Hollow on Tuesday morning.  Standard things there that
included Acadian Flycatchers, and La. Waterthrush.  Then the first
storm started approaching so I headed for Spring Green Preserve.
When I started walking it the storm was really coming back so that
ended the birding.  Curiously a Lark Sparrow and Dickcissel were
along the road heading west (before the monsoon hit).
Governor Dodge SP had the Bell's Vireo by the falls, plus a Yellow-
bellied Flycatcher and Alder Fly.  The pair of Orchard Orioles were
by the concession stand, and the darn storm starting approaching
again so westward to Wyalusing.

At Wyalusing SP the Yellow-throated Warbler was near the campground.
I did not hear it at the junction of Long Valley Rd.  I also had a
Kentucky Warbler near the monument and one much closer to the road
near the railroad tracks at the end of Long Valley Rd.  The
Prothonotary Warbler put on a great show in the trees by the boat
landing.  It was then I realized a third storm was rapidly
approaching from the southwest.  It really poured all the way into
Prairie du Chien.  As I had seen everything I hoped to, I headed
north to La Crosse and then eventually up to Chippewa Falls where I
spent the night (Tuesday).

Wed morning I was south of Stone's Bridge fairly early and was
rewarded with 2 singing Connecticut Warblers along the roadside.  At
the bridge there was a variety of birds including an Olive-sided and
Yellow-bellied Flycatchers.  After enjoying the bird variety here it
was Wisconsin Pt next.  I started at the Bluff and had very little.
It was a beautiful, warm morning.  At the first stop along the road I
initially found very little.  On about my 3rd or 4th scan I noticed
four birds out on the lake.  The jiz indicated jaegers, but four of
them?  With the scope it was easy to confirm that there were FOUR
PARASITIC JAEGERS.  About this time I discovered a small flock of
shorebirds moving towards me.  Most were basic migrant birds but one
proved to be a Red Knot.  I called Robbye J and she left work and
came out.  By the time she arrived the shorebirds had been flushed by
several waders.  The four jaegers had taken flight, with 3
relanding.  However they were flushed by a boat.  About this time I
discovered a FIFTH PARASITIC JAEGER more to the left.  This one
remained and she was able to enjoy it, plus later 2 jaegers appeared
again.  One harassed a gull, and successfully got it to drop its
food.  Thus there was a total of FIVE PARASITIC JAEGERS on the Pt for
3+ hours!!! (9:30 towards 1:00)

 From here I headed for Crex Meadows.  In the evening I tried for ST
Grouse, no luck;  Le Conte's and Nelson's Sparrow--yes.  They were
heard and the former seen along the N. Refuge Rd near Reed Lake.  At
the same time 2 beavers were swimming and feeding right in front of
me the entire time, and a full moon rose over the horizon.  Add to
that a great sunset, and was an evening to remember.

This morning (Thur) I was back at Murphy Rd before sunrise, in fact
for several times later.  No luck on the ST Grouse (I see why by the
earlier post;  wish the refuge people would have informed me of
that).  However when I started to leave the area I stopped at the
Sand Prairie Overlook.  Surprisingly 2 Sharp-tailed Grouse were
feeding in the field below the overlook.  I watched them for quite
some time.  One eventually took off and headed over me and a long way
to the northwest before settling down.

It was a great three days, with a trip total of 177 species.  However
there were many great memories.  (If you made it this far you really
wanted to read something.)

Good birding.  And now for some sleep.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI